Friday, April 15, 2011
When we are happy, we feel great right? It feels as if everything is just so perfect – you are in the perfect mood, you have energy to do things, you feel refreshed and light. The saying that we always hear “Laughter is the best medicine” has a scientific truth to it. Laughter produces high levels of the happiness hormone called Serotonin which creates a positive effect on a person.
Laughter indeed has a lot of great health benefits and maybe that is why Laughter Yoga is hitting the globe by storm. I was just watching the news and I saw it featured and a lot of individuals are trying this alternative therapy.
So what is laughter yoga? What are its benefits and is it really effective?
Laughter Yoga is just a new form of yoga and it started only in 1995. It was actually the brain child of Jiten Kohi but it became popular after Madan Kataria, a physician in Mumbai, India created some exercise routine which he developed together with his wife who is a Yoga Instructor. They started only with 5 people in a public park in Mumbai and it spread like wild fire as there are now 6000 Laughter Yoga clubs in over 60 countries.
Laughter Yoga is an exercise routine which involves laughter, movements and yoga-based breathing for a session of about 10 – 15 minutes. This exercise does not need humor or jokes as the participants will just start pretending to be laughing . The concept behind laughter yoga is that the brain cannot distinguish between a fake laugh and a real laugh, so this pretend laughter still produce a good effect on the brain and body. But during the session, this pretend laugh will be turned to real laughter with the help of eye contact, facial expressions, and playfulness. This is a total body workout as laughter makes the stomach, chest, neck, and facial muscles work just like any regular yoga or exercise.
Laughter Yoga became popular because a lot of people have seen the positive effects of laughter in their body and this includes:
- Reduce stress: Weather fake or not, laughter sends positive signals to our body relaxing our thus is a big help in stress reduction.
- Enhance blood flow. Laughter has been proven to increase the blood flow by 20% thus help in regulating a normal blood pressure and sugar level.
- Boost Immune System. Research shows that our antibodies that protect us from diseases decreases when we are stressed but increases every time we laugh. Laughter increases the number and activity of T cells, the antibody IgA, and IgB which can help improve our immune system.
- Alleviates depression. Laughter can make us feel good and happy, thus eliminating depression.
- Good form of exercise. Since laughter makes the key muscles in our body work, it helps burn calories and fat too like any other form of cardiovascular exercise.
As the saying goes, "It takes 37 muscles to frown and only 22 muscles to smile." If you want a cheaper way to be healthy, laugh, stay happy and for sure will be healthy.
AbieL, has been working as a freelance writer and professional blogger for more than 5 years now. Her recent work is a content writer stint where she writes about eleven2 coupon code and norton antivirus coupons code for Business Opportunities Expo and You Love Coupons.