Friday, March 23, 2012
Tips to prevent heat exhaustion.
Now that summer is here, we are warned by health experts to be extra mindful of our health in order to prevent conditions caused by heat, one of these is heat exhaustion. What is heat exhaustion? It is the reaction of the body when it experiences massive loss of water and salt through excessive sweating and dehydration. Typically, a person experiences heat exhaustion after being exposed to heat for a long period of time. It is necessary to address heat exhaustion since this may lead to heatstroke.
Here are some tips to prevent heat exhaustion:
- Drink a lot of fluids. Go for water, fruit juices and sports drinks.
- Avoid doing intense exercise (or hanging around lighted patio fire pits) during the hottest time of the day.
- Choose light and loose clothes.
- When going out, wear a brimmed hat and apply sunscreen on your skin.
- If you are outdoors and you feel your abilities to diminish, stop and rest in a cool shaded place.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks like alcohol and coffee prior to exercising to lessen dehydration.