Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Whether you are moving coast-to-coast or just down the street, relocating and transferring all your stuff to a new residence can be challenging and stressful all at the same time. But with careful planning and organization, you can reduce the stress that relocating brings and you will be able to avoid the most common pitfalls encountered when moving.
Below are six tips that you can follow to make your move smoother and worry free:
1. Make a Game Plan. Before you start packing or throwing stuff, gather everyone in the family first to make a plan for your move. Assign a person-in-charge to oversee all the steps for the move. Make a list of all the things that needs to be done before, during and after the move to make sure that you will not miss any small or important matter.
2. Start Packing. Once you have established your moving plan, you can start packing stuff that you will not need, a few weeks before the move. Purchase enough boxes, tapes and markers and distribute them to each member of the family. Establish a system for packing like start packing in one room before moving to another room and make sure to label the boxes with the owner’s name and the room where it came from. This will make unpacking easier when you reach your new home. Allocate boxes for things that will be put to trash or for donation so you will avoid moving things to your new place that you no longer need and will just accumulate dust.
3. Prepare an Essentials Box. This box will contain items that you should have as soon as you arrive in the new location. For sure, you will not be able to unpack right away so you should have a packing kit, which contains clothes that you can use for a few days, toiletries, plastic plates and utensils and even pet food. Medicines and medical equipment should also travel with you so you have easy access to it if the need arises.
4. Hire a Reputable Moving Company. These moving companies have the right tools and expertise to make your move stress free. Ask for recommendations from friends or check reviews of different moving companies on the Internet so you will be sure that your entrusting your stuff to a reliable moving company that will move your things to the new location safely and securely.
5. Notify Concerned Parties of your Change in Address. Advise your bank, water and electric company, etc of your change in address a few weeks in advance to make sure that your bills and letters will be delivered to your new billing address.
6. Oversee the move. On the actual moving day, make sure that at least one member of the family is present to oversee the move. This can be the person-in-charge appointed by the family during the planning process. A checklist has to be at hand to make sure that everything is taken cared of and no things will be left behind.
Just follow the 6 tips above for less chaos and drama as you pack your life and move to a new place. With careful planning and organization, you can have a stress-free relocation and you will be able to enjoy your new place sooner.
Author’s Bio: Abie is a freelance article writer and content provider. She currently works for Pak30.com, an online shop where you can purchase Eastpak bags.